About FGC Yaba|How it all started|The History|Vocational Bible School|The first fellowship|The inauguration service
The Organization now spread across 2064 branches in Nigeria was the result of a Foursquare missionary family in the persons of Rev. H.J. Curtis & Mrs. Faye Curtis and their two sons.
This family arrived the shores of Nigeria on November 4, 1954 from the United States of America with the clear goal of starting the Foursquare Gospel Church in Nigeria. From all available records it took about one year before an official stamp was given to the individual work of this Godly couple. The work effectively started in 1955. The records indicate that Rev. H.J. Curtis, on arrival to Nigeria rented a flat at King George Avenue (now Herbert Macaulay Street) where he started a Vocational Bible School in his apartment frontage from where the movement’s first pioneering students and eventual national leaders were discovered and trained. These were; Rev. James. A. Boyejo, Rev. Friday C. Osuwa, Rev. Samuel O. Odunaike and a few others.
Vocation Bible School
At this Vocational Bible School, God also granted the Curtis’ the privilege of working with another independent foreign missionary sister, Margaret Season, who also graduated from the LIFE Bible College in Los Angeles in 1948 to assist in lecturing the students.
All the pioneering students and close associates who were undergoing training at the Vocational Bible School (VBS) were not actually converted freshly by the Curtis’ as they were believers who had given their lives to Christ in their various denominations. Rev. F.C. Osuwa was in fact already an ordained minister of God with the Assemblies of God Mission. The street meeting was actually one of the street meetings held by Rev. Harold Curtis in several places in Yaba. It was at one of these meetings that Bro. Boyejo first met Rev. Curtis in December, 1954.
First Place of Worship
As a result of several street meetings that brought about a great crowd, Rev. Curtis rented a building which was formerly used as a beer parlour. It was during the semester break when after the discovery, rental and renovation of 68, King George Avenue, then known as the Yankee Bar, the inauguration exercise took place on Saturday, October 31, 1955. The occasion was colorful. The frontage of the building was lit brightly with several fluorescent lights and with chairs set up in the open air.
The following people actively took part in the never – to be forgotten historical event:
Rev. Harold J. Curtis
Mrs. Faye Curtis
Rev. Margaret Season
Bro. Odunaike S.O.
Bro. Boyejo J.A.
Rev. F.C Osuwa
Other Bible School students
The open air Inauguration Service begun at about 7.00pm with an announcement and invitation to passersby. This was followed by Gospel Music from the trumpet played by Ronald Curtis and the accordion played by Bro. Odunaike. Gospel songs followed. The sermon was preached by Rev. Harold Curtis and interpreted by Bro. Boyejo. At the end of the message, altar call was made and many souls gave their hearts to Christ. The meeting closed with an invitation to everyone, to attend the first Sunday school and church service at the same venue the following day, which was Sunday.